L'âme de la Monnaie
52' / 9 / 2016
Frankie in front of the mock-up of "Daphné", Lydie struggling with the hem of a costume from "Jenufa", Kornell discussing with his double bass in the pit, Gina on the make-up of "Rigoletto", Stefano in the prison of Forest to make the prisoners sing, André manufacturing boots of forthcoming soldiers of "Shell Shok", Christine vacuuming in the Grand Hall, a young painter editing a greek polystyrene tempel for "Orphée", and the ones from the canteen ant from accountancy also...
Around 500 people and nearly as many professions. From shoes to wigs, from scenery to lighting : at La Monnaie, everything is home-made.
Here, we sing, we create, we discuss in dutch, french, english, german, italian, russian, japanese, polish, spanish... At 3 o'clock, the soloist of the two 'casts' of "Jenufa" are ill. The artistic planning immediately finds an Austrian singer ready to sing at 8 o'clock the leading role in Czech, also willing to jump in a plane that needs to be chartered in Vienna. Performance after performance, this Tower of Babel holds.
In times of crisis and budgetary restrictions leading prestigious opera houses to choose for the reproduction of successes and assumed expectations of the audience, La Monnaie renews its be of creation and audacity every year.
Around several creations of the seasons 2014-2015, seize different energies, different tensions, joys and pains, seize something about the life and the spirit of La Monnaie.
- Director : Frédéric Laffont
- Author : Frédéric Laffont
- Image : Frédéric Laffont
- Sound : Bruno Diliberto
- Editing : Catherine Rascon
- Mix : Stéphane Larrat
- Voice-over : José van Dam
Production and partners
- A Simple Production and Caméra Magica, La Monnaie/De Munt, RTBF, Arte GEIE coproduction.
- Produced with the support of the Centre du Cinéma et de l'Audiovisuel de la Fédération Wallonie-Bruxelles.
- Distributor : Telmondis
- Non-commercial distributor : CFA - Centre du Film sur l'Art
- Etoile de la SCAM 2017
- Selection BAFF 2017
- Selection Festival International du Film sur l'Art - Montréal 2018
- Selection Festival Brussels in Love 2018
- French subtitels
- Dutch subtitels
- English subtitles